Going it alone at the cinema

Going it alone at the cinema

This weekend I took one of the biggest independent steps of my life thus far.

I went to the cinema. ALONE.

And what a gloriously liberating experience it turned out to be.

On Saturday morning I ventured out, armed with a bottle of water, a bag of marshmallows and an extra large mars bar (cinema food is so expensive nowadays – it’s best to stock up from the local newsagent) and headed to the Odeon.

Waving my Odeon Premier Card under the cashier’s nose I boldly requested ONE ticket to see The Great Gatsby (a film I’ve been dying to see for aaaages) and managed to get it for free having acquired enough points for a single admission. Result.

The auditorium was eerily silent and there were only two other people in the room – clearly 11:30am is not the normal cinema-going time. There was no allocated seating and so I tested out three chairs in different areas before plonking myself down in one of the Premier seats.

Initially I was worried that not having anyone to whisper complimentary/critical comments to about the film might lessen the overall cinema experience, but actually I found that not having someone repeatedly ask me to explain what’s going on/to pass the popcorn was a great relief.

The Great Gatsby was a stunningly dizzy, visual feast full of fast cars, feathers and affairs of the heart. Leonardo Dicaprio was his usual superb self in the lead role and the rest of the cast simply blinded me with their dazzling costumes and smoothly slicked hair.

Two and a half hours later I emerged into the open, a little dazed and feeling rather sick, having stuffed myself with the entire bag of marshmallows seeing as I had no moral duty to share them with anyone.

I contemplated the fact that a lonesome cinema trip is generally deemed socially unacceptable and have come to the conclusion that society (and Orange Wednesdays) have brainwashed us into believing that  “films are better with friends” for no other reason than to make money out of our insecurities.

I noted that I have always enjoyed watching DVDs alone so why can I not enjoy a film at the cinema alone? I am quite sure that most of my family and friends have had enough of me pointing out the various technical errors/ use of body doubles/ general annoying film-buff knowledge that I have acquired through my experiences within the acting industry. So surely it is more enjoyable all round to go on one’s own?

Well one things for sure, this won’t be the last time I seek solitary solace with the silver screen.

1. 8th November 2013 / 9:16 am

Hahaha, going to the cinema alone is perhaps the most simultaneously awkward yet enjoyable experience a cinephile can achieve. I think I finally summed up the courage to go to theatres by myself as an adult for the first time when I was waiting for a train in Chicago. I had like an 8 hour layover so I was like why not? I ended up seeing ‘The Cabin in the Woods’ the same day the ‘Avengers’ came out. It was awesome.

• 8th November 2013 / 9:27 am

All the popcorn to oneself!!! It’s great!

2. 18th June 2013 / 6:05 pm

I love going to the cinema alone. It’s almost akin to sitting in a place of worship. There is a peacefulness about it. Until someone starts eating their salt and vinegar, that is!

Nice blog! I like your style.

• 18th June 2013 / 6:06 pm

Thanks very much! Peaceful was the word!

3. 18th June 2013 / 12:05 am

I usually go to the movies by myself partly because of my schedule but also I like watching the movie I actually want to see which might not be the one a friend want to see, I’ve never bought into the stigma of going alone though I’m used to people being surprised that I go alone, good for you

4. 17th June 2013 / 7:42 pm

As someone who has by dint of no suitable companion at a suitable time gone to the cinema alone once or *ahem* twice, I applaud your action! I rather like going to the cinema alone, there are only two problems I’ve identified so far: 1. no one to watch your stuff if you need to nip to the loo. 2. no one to persuade you that a film you have spent £7 on and found boring is in fact entertaining.

As it happens I also went to see the Great Gatsby alone – a sign that in future we should cinema date together!!

• 17th June 2013 / 7:48 pm

Oh Gina, why have you abandoned me so! It is clear we were meant to be…!

5. Salem Hanna
    17th June 2013 / 2:50 pm

I used to go to the cinema on my own if it was a film I desperately wanted to see but everyone I knew had already seen it or wasn’t interested. Think the last time I did this was for Return of the King; waited too long after the release date so my options were solitude or losing the film’s impact on the small screen a few months later.

Since then I’ve made more friends who are fellow film fans as opposed to purely pub dwellers and I make more of an effort to go in the first few weeks so I’m less likely to have that problem.

6. 17th June 2013 / 2:36 pm

wow… i love your bold step

it’s quite refreshing to sometimes go out and do somethings alone… i think it’s therapeutic,

i can take a whole day off, walk in town. window shop, buy a book, take a ride on the out-skirts of town, and discover parts i never knew existed, sit down at a hotel when it’s time for lunch, and when i thought i’d order some favorite meal, i order a scoop of ice-cream and my stomach would confirm it later it was all i needed!!!

nice piece 🙂

• 17th June 2013 / 2:39 pm

Eating a whole tub of ice-cream is always therapeutic! I’m not sharing anymore!