Greece Stands Tall

Greece Stands Tall

I don’t usually comment on anything to do with politics on my blog and absolutely do not profess to know all the ins and outs, but some of you have asked me what my thoughts are on the Greek economic crisis and so I have decided to address the situation in a BRIEF post (so I don’t bore you all!).

Despite all my (gentle) mocking of the people of my ‘fatherland’, the Greeks in general are a nation of hardworking, very generous people and the situation for many of them at the moment is diabolical. I have plenty of family out there who have been suffering for years and it is utterly abhorrent that anyone should go without the basic necessities such as food, shelter and medicine.

As we all know corruption is rife within any government and unfortunately money has been misappropriated left, right and centre. Whatever the reasons behind the current situation (and there are many, not just the whole tax evasion business), there is no quick solution and despite the recent referendum Greece still faces further austerity measures.

What is clear is that the Greeks are not afraid to stand up for what they believe in and the country itself remains as beautiful as ever.

So if you are thinking twice about holidaying in Greece this summer, I say have no fear. The Greeks are standing tall and proud, the ouzo continues to flow and the sun still shines on a land filled with history, culture and pride.

1. 17th July 2015 / 5:43 pm

Your post got right to the point, Ekaterina, and I suspect there will be a lot of Americans who will be visiting in the near future!

2. MM Jaye
    17th July 2015 / 10:12 am

Less is more, Ekaterina, and you nailed it with this poignant post. Thank you for promoting Greece in these hard times!

3. Lesley Snell
    17th July 2015 / 9:55 am

I would reiterate what Ekaterina has said. We returned yesterday from a wonderful holiday on the beautiful island of Skiathos. We noticed no difference from previous visits. There were no shortages of anything, the food was as wonderful and plentiful as ever. We took cash but everywhere was accepting card payments. ATMs were working and no queues. Definitely do not be put off holidaying in Greece

• 17th July 2015 / 10:34 am

There you have it people…

4. 17th July 2015 / 9:48 am

It couldn’t be a better time for holidaymakers to visit Greece and I’m sure they’d be not only welcomed very warmly but lots of local people and businesses would appreciate their support.

It is such a shame that things have reached this position in Greece and the people deserve much better. I’m sure the Greek people will come through it stronger and hopefully afterwards have a new found pride and determination… not that I have ever met any Greeks without pride! They should stand up for themselves whatever other countries say and if that means staying or leaving the Euro, do it with gusto. Just because Greece is currently poor, it doesn’t mean it should be bullied or its people looked down on in any way.

Everyone person and country is different and should choose their own paths which feel best for them. All the Greek people I have ever met have always been the nicest colleagues and best friends. Also the best bloggers and writers amongst other things 🙂

• 17th July 2015 / 10:35 am