Wacky Pregnancy Cravings

Wacky Pregnancy Cravings

When I was pregnant with my son I didn’t have any particularly strange food cravings. BUT I did have a sudden urge for alcohol. “What’s so strange about that?” you might think. Well, I’m practically tee-total. I NEVER have an urge for alcohol. I’d much rather have a nice Coca Cola (the REAL stuff). So suddenly wanting to down a whole bottle of ouzo was a bit weird for me. (And no I didn’t drink any!)

My mum was a BIG fan of ice cubes when she was pregnant with my younger brother. I distinctly remember her asking me to bring her the entire ice cube box, which she sat and munched through.

Pregnancy cravings can strike at any time and for some, the urge to eat whatever the body wants can be overwhelming. My urge to eat whatever my body wants can be overwhelming on an unpregnant day but for pregnant women, restraint is not necessarily an option.

Friends have told me of their weird combo cravings – ice-cream with pickles, tablespoons of mustard with strawberries, cheddar cheese with ketchup and so on. But at least these cravings are edible. In fact there is even a condition called Pica, where expectant mums have the urge to eat inedible things. If that’s you then you need to tell your midwife!

Some of the weirder, inedible urges include:
Rubber
Bubbles
Toilet Paper
Toothpaste
Teabags
Chalk
Cigarette Ash
Seriously, cigarette ash?!!
I think the weirdest thing for me was that I actually went OFF my one true love (other than my son of course) – FETA CHEESE.

So have you had any weird and wonderful pregnancy cravings?

1. 15th February 2016 / 3:51 pm

I have had five children and not one single pregnancy craving! I feel cheated.

• Ekaterina
      15th February 2016 / 4:06 pm

To be honest in the last few months my ‘cravings’ were just an excuse to eat more chocolate!

2. Robert Mitchell
    9th February 2016 / 10:12 am

My wife craved watermelon. And since her morning sickness lasted almost the entire pregnancy, anything she craved that would stay down was a good idea. She would call me at the office. “Honey, can you bring me some…” and I would interrupt, “I know, watermelon, got it.” I would run to the grocer’s on my lunch break and make a delivery to her. Many days she ate nothing but the best part of an entire watermelon. That was 18 years ago. We had a healthy baby girl who graduates from high school this June!

• Ekaterina
      9th February 2016 / 10:20 am

Watermelon seems to be a popular one! Congratulations to your now big girl on her graduation!!

3. 9th February 2016 / 9:41 am

Ha-Ha- well I do not drink alcohol (it doesn’t agree with me at all). In my third pregnancy I wanted the biggest the fattest and the FASTEST cheeseburger known for human consumption in the middle of the night. My hubs being the kind guy went on a McDonald’s run (I do not even like McDonald’s cheeseburgers) that early morning I sure did-and went into labor 4 hours later…Oh my such memories…Cheryl x PS Some things you do not forget. LOL

• Ekaterina
      9th February 2016 / 10:21 am

I fancy a cheeseburger now…!