There is a strong belief among the Greeks that food is the answer to all our troubles. When we celebrate we eat, when we commiserate we eat. And when we are sick, we eat soup – chicken soup made with egg and lemon known as Kotosoupa me Avgolemono.
1.4 kg chicken
4 litres (16 cups) water
2 black peppercorns
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stick celery, chopped
1/2 cup (100g) short-grain rice
1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
What to do:
- Combine chicken, water, pepper-corns, carrot, onion and celery in large pan, simmer, covered for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from pan, reserve for another use. Strain stock through sieve; discard vegetables. Cool stock, cover, refrigerate overnight. Skim fat from stock. You will need around 2.25 litres (9 cups) stock.
- Bring stock to boil in pan, add rice, cook, partly covered, for about 15 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Just before serving, whisk eggs and juice in bowl until frothy. Gradually whisk in 2 cups (500ml) of the hot stock. Whisk egg and lemon mixture unto remaining hot stock and rice mixture, whisk over heat until heated through; do not boil.
Note: This recipe serves 6 to 8 people and is best made just before serving. Stock is suitable for freezing and microwaving.