An essential product for holidaymakers everywhere. And especially for a Greek man or woman.
Now I’m not talking about what’s inside the suitcase on the way TO the holiday destination.
I’m talking about what’s inside the suitcase on the way BACK, when you are more likely to be stopped at customs and have your luggage pulled apart in front of everyone.
So what IS inside a Greek’s suitcase?
- Olive oil – freshly pressed from an aunts/uncles/grandparents olive-tree farm
- Olives – see above
- Halloumi/Feta – in bulk
- Holy water – to replenish the last of the water that was thrown over the grandchildren before they got on the aeroplane
- Fresh figs – usually stolen from a neighbour’s garden
- Greek key rings – emblazoned with the Greek flag and/or something rude
- Greek coffee – because no coffee tastes as good as a Greek coffee
- Vanilla – for the kids back home – see recipe
- Tsoureki Bread – even though it’s not Easter
- Pita Bread – only proper GREEK pita will do
- Any kind of Greek cookie/favour – there is usually at least one event that a Greek person will attend when visiting their homeland, be it a wedding, christening or even a funeral – bags of favours/cookies will be left over and we don’t like food to go to waste!
- Special rice – for the HUGE giouvetsi needed for guests back home
- Filo pastry– for the HUGE galaktoboureko needed for guests back home
- ‘Ornamental’ knives/daggers/pistols – that can be found in any Greek souvenir shop
- A new komboloi – new set of worry beads to add to the collection
My in-laws always come back from Cyprus overloaded with food and olive oil – many an argument about suitcase weight has ensued at the check-in at Larnaca Airport. My Yiayia (from Greece) was stopped at customs when she came to the UK once- well I guess we do have to be vigilant these days and even an old granny being wheeled along in a wheelchair is a potentially dangerous criminal! (Luckily she only had a suitcase full of GREEK Kinder Joy for my brother – in her mind, he is still only about 3 years old).
So what’s inside your suitcase???