So today I decided to share yet another wonderful recipe from my superbly talented Greek blogger friend Krystina Kalapothakos who runs the food blog Kouzounas Kitchen.
Every Friday Krystina features a menu which includes a starter, a main and a dessert, for readers to try and this one has an added bonus of being extra healthy! To see more of Krystina’s recipes you can click on the logo I designed for her on the right hand side menu or you can read the original post here.
Friday Menu : Healthy Shrimp Salad, Greek Lentils & Fruit Platter.
Happy Friday!! Friday’s Menu is packed with three healthy recipes. Enjoy and have a wonderful weekend.
Citrus Shrimp Salad (Appetizer)
- 1 pound of cooked, peeled, devained shrimp
- 8 cups spinach, washed and towel dried
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- 3 avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 mango, peeled, and sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup mandarin juice
- 1 garlic minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
1. Saute the shrimp, and garlic along with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and wine in pan over medium heat.
2. Cook shrimp until shrimp are golden brown on each side.
3. While shrimp are cooking, prepare spinach.
4. Place spinach in a bowl, add avocado, cucumber, and mango slices to the bowl.
5. Whisk together the remaining olive oil, mandarin juice, lemon juice, and season with salt & pepper.
6. Add shrimp to the salad, and drizzle the citrus dressing over the salad.
Fakes- Greek Lentils (Main)
- 1/2 pound of small lentils, rinsed
- 1 pound of ripe tomatoes, puréed
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- In a heavy pot, add the water,wine, tomato puree, bay leaves, onion, and garlic.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, and add in the lentils and olive oil.
- Reduce the heat and cover for 1 hour and half or until lentils are done.
- Remove from heat, and remove bay leaves.
- Stir in seasonings. (Salt, pepper, and oregano.)
- Stir in vinegar, and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Serve with crumbled feta cheese over the top.
Fresh Fruit Platter (Dessert)
- *Use a variety of seasonal fruit.
- Dice each fruit, and layer them nicely on a platter.
- You can serve fresh Greek yogurt in the centre of the plate, add drizzle honey over the top.
Kali Orexi!! Have a fun weekend!! 🙂