I have now lived in Wimbledon for over five years but it seems like only yesterday that I first entered Centre Court shopping centre and marvelled at the two fat ladies. (The statue that is.)
Having originally come from a small town (Leigh-on-Sea) that has a distinct community feel to it, I have grown to feel quite at home in SW19 where the same homely feel applies but on a slightly more diverse scale.
So here are my official TOP TEN things I love about Wimbledon.
- New Wimbledon Theatre – with brilliant shows such as Priscilla, Hairspray, Swan Lake and of course the yearly Christmas panto, the theatre is the heart and soul of SW19.
- Tennis (obviously) – the Wimbledon Championships are arguably one of the classiest sporting events of the year. And you can’t go wrong with all those strawberries and cream!
- Elys – who doesn’t love to shop in style? Elys combines both highstreet and designer trends with homeware, beauty and the plushest restaurant to review your purchases in.
- South Park Gardens – the prettiest park around with just enough room for everyone to bask in its beauty. This is a favourite with adults and children alike.
- Cinema – see the latest blockbusters at the Odeon or enjoy a more intimate viewing at the HMV Curzon – so much choice!
- Love Wimbledon – the Business Improvement District set up by the people of Wimbledon, for the people of Wimbledon has helped to bring the community even closer together with the aim of making the town centre a better place. The Love Wimbledon Guide keeps everyone in the know and regular events are held in the town piazza creating a wonderful vibe for both visitors and residents.
- Transport – Wimbledon train station connects to both the underground and the overground as well as the tram. Getting into central London has never been so easy.
- Shops – other than Elys, Wimbledon boasts a huge range of shops, restaurants, medical centres, hairdressers, supermarkets and much more. And let’s not forget everyone’s favourite – TK Maxx (it makes me happy just popping in there). Whether you are looking for a wedding dress or a diamond ring, Wimbledon has it all.
- The YMCA – people are keen on their fitness in Wimbledon and there are many top notch gyms and expensive yoga classes you can go to. But if, like me, you just want to sweat it out now and again without having to take out a new mortgage, the YMCA has everything you need.
- The Village – with a blend of chic shops, cafes and bars set amongst handsome period buildings and open spaces, Wimbledon Village is simply unique.
So there you go.
Whilst of course you never forget where you grew up, my move to Wimbledon has initiated some of the biggest changes and moments in my life. So I would like to think that despite growing up by the sea, I am now officially a Womble living underground, overground and wombling free…