An alternative to Tiropita is Spanakopita or spinach pie – a delicious Greek savoury pastry, which is mostly eaten as a snack.
The spinach filling is wrapped in filo pastry and can even be mixed with feta cheese to give it extra taste.
Popeye missed out!
1 kilo of spinach
500g of filo pastry
300g of spring onions
1 1/2 cups of olive oil
1 sprig of dill
Salt, pepper, grated nutmeg
What to do:
- Wash the spinach well and remove the root and hard stems. Cut up finely. Shake on salt and squeeze to remove as much water as possible.
- Slice onions and chop dill finely, combine with the spinach mixture and add nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Coat a baking tin with oil and spread most of the pre-greased filo pasty, leaving enough to cover the tin quite thickly after the mixture has been put in.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the tin.
- Spread the left over pastry over the tin and mixture.
- Trim the edges of the pastry around the pan before baking the pie in a moderate oven for about 50-60 minutes.
Pastry should be golden brown when cooked.